Main features of USB4
1. It adopts Type C appearance shape and is backward compatible with USB3.2/3.1/3.0, etc.
2. The maximum transmission speed is increased to 40 Gbps, which is fully doubled compared with the previous generation of USB 3.2 Gen 2×2;
3. The video transmission protocol is upgraded to Display Port 2.0, which supports real-time transmission of [email protected]+HDR10 video;
4. Support up to 100W PD power supply, covering the charging rate of most subdivided devices, and solve the problem of too many external devices and insufficient power supply;
5. The cost of USB4 is soaring, but the price will be much lower than Thunderbolt 3, and it will be compatible with existing Thunderbolt 3 devices.
The difference between USB4 and Thunderbolt 4
Whether Thunderbolt 4 or USB4, are based on the previous generation of Thunderbolt 3 interface underlying protocol to build, with a maximum rate of 40Gbps, and also use Type C interface, which supports high-speed data transmission and video/audio transmission, and also supports DP, HDMI, VGA, PD Fast charging and other functions can be connected to various expansion devices such as external monitors, sound cards, and graphics cards. In other words, the both can be complementary and compatible, and realize the real “one-port”.
The difference between the two is that the USB4.0 interface has wider versatility and lower equipment requirements, while the performance “lower limit” of the Thunderbolt 4 interface has been greatly improved compared with USB4.0, and has more Strict product functions, verification tests, and certification requirements are the most comprehensive interface protocols at this stage, which also means that devices that support Thunderbolt 4 have a better experience.